Monday, February 21, 2011

Wilco Updates Airbus Series to Airbus Evolution

In other Wilco Publishing news, they have recently revamped their website and announced a major update to their Airbus products:
Both upgrades add tons of new features to the Wilco Airbus products.  Too many to list here, but some highlights:
  • Weather Radar
  • Heads-Up Display (HUD)
  • Navigation improvements
  • Systems improvements
  • Others
Pop on over to the Wilco site for full details.

Upgrade pricing for owners of the previous Wilco Airbus products is €16.49 for each product, or €19.95 for Europeans who have to pay VAT.  This works out to about $22 for people in the U.S.

If you are purchasing the Wilco Airbus series for the first time, the price is €49.55 for Vol. 1, or €59.95 for Europeans paying VAT.  This work out to about $68 for people in the U.S.  Vol. 2 is priced at €41.28, or €49.95 for Europeans paying VAT.  This works out to about $56 for people in the U.S.

I've had fun with the Wilco Airbus planes in the past, although I know they aren't terribly realistic.  It will be interesting to see how this update improves on the realism of the Wilco Airbus.  More importantly, it will be interesting to see how some of the other developers working on an Airbus (Airsimmer, FlightSimLabs) respond to this new product.

The Wilco Airbus Evolution series is out today, so go get 'em!

2 comments:

Apol I. Nario said...

When I installed Evolution, it ruined my ILS landings. I was fully established on RIGHT runway but i landed on the LEFT runway.

Sent email to them months ago and til now, no reply.

Not recommended at this time.

Chris said...

I have had mixed luck with Wilco customer service, too. I reported some very serious issues with the FMS in their 777 several years ago, and they made it very clear that they were not particularly interested in fixing any of them. I do not really understand the attitude - with so few 777's available for FSX, they could have locked down the market. But I guess they figured they had that anyway without having to put the effort into making a quality product. Too bad, really, because with both the PMDG 777 and the Captain Sim 777 now waiting in the wings, nobody is going to want to even consider the Wilco 777 anymore.

I did pick up Evolution, and maddeningly, some of the most serious bugs in the Airbus products have not been fixed. I know of at least one case where the ILS failed to pick up the G/S and LOC, and I had to manually land the plane. Not the end of the world, but when you pay upwards of $50 for what is tantamount to a service pack, everything should just work. I put up with it, bugs and all, because it is the only decent Airbus available for FSX. (Aerosoft's Airbus X is missing too many features for my liking.) I am looking forward to FSL someday releasing a quality Airbus product that will make us forget the Wilco Airbus series in the same way we are about to forget the 777.

I will give Wilco (actually feelThere) props for doing a decent job with the Embraer lines, though - the ERJv2 and E-Jets/E-Jets v2 are pretty good, though not perfect.