Monday, February 13, 2012

Revamping the Mini-Reviews

Going forward in 2012, I have decided to revamp the mini-reviews a bit.  Mainly, I will be simplifying the recommendation system for product reviews from here on out.  I am doing away with the previous five star rating system.  In practice, it seemed a bit arbitrary and perhaps even capricious at times.  In its place, I am introducing a simpler system that I think will more fairly and accurately reflect how I feel about various add-ons as I review them.  The recommendations shall be as follows:

  • Recommended - the product delivers as advertised; it offers a good value for the price.  The product merits a "Pretend Flyer Seal of Approval."
  • Not Recommended - the product falls substantially short of expectations in significant ways.  It may have significant bugs that detract from its overall enjoyment, such as frequent crashes to desktop (CTD's).  Or, the product may be decent in terms of features, but greatly overpriced in terms of value.
  • Deferred - I am withholding final judgment on the product for a while.  It may be a beta or initial release that is not ready for prime time.  I will give the developers a chance to rectify any issues with a future update before I make up my mind for good.
The upcoming mini-review of the Wilco 737 PIC Evolution will be the first one using this new system.

No comments: