Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wilco A380 v2 NavData Update Troubles (Solved)

I tested out updating the FMC database for the A380 using the latest available AIRAC cycle (0806) from Navigraph. Good news -- it works, although there seems to be a bit of a trick to it.

Most of Wilco's add-ons seem to be developed by a separate outfit known as feelThere. Nearly all feelThere/Wilco products look in FSX\feelThere\Nd for navigation database information. (FSX here refers the toplevel Flight Simulator X directory, typically Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X.) However, for some reason, the A380 v2 add-on looks in FSX\Wilco\Nd instead. The Navigraph installation utility for feelThere/Wilco planes updates the data in the feelThere directory, but it is apparently unaware of the existence of similar data in the Wilco directory. This results in the A380 v2 not getting updated navigation database information for its FMC.

As an experiment, I tried copying the updated files in FSX\feelThere\Nd to FSX\Wilco\Nd. This proved to be successful -- the A380 v2 FMC became aware of the latest waypoints and terminal procedures after the update. Hopefully this discrepancy is merely an oversight by Wilco, and they can fix the add-on to look for FMC data in the feelThere directory instead. Copying this data over manually after each AIRAC cycle update is a pain.

2 comments:

JCosta said...

It does not work for me...

Lucky Balaraman said...

Hey Chris,

Thanks so much for this post. I was wondering how to update my FSX navigational database and asked for help in the major sim forums. I did not get a solution.

I then found this post and followed your method. BAM, my database was updated and my joy knew no bounds!

Thanks again, Chris ---

Best,

Lucky