Thursday, July 10, 2008

AdSense Content Observations

Per Google's AdSense policy, I don't want to draw any unwarranted attention to their ad banner on the right-hand side of the blog. When I envisioned this blog, I actually went back and forth as to whether I should even have any advertising on the blog at all. In the end, I decided to try it -- I don't know that I will make a whole lot off of it, but whatever I do make will go directly into flight simulation products that I can discuss here. I stress that the reader should only click on an ad if there is a legitimate interest in the product or service being offered.

That said, I have noticed some interesting trends regarding the selection of ads on the banner over the last few weeks. It started out pretty much as I expected -- ads regarding flight simulation, flight training, and airfares to PDX (where I live). Then I started commenting more about some bad news in the airline industry this week, and a whole bunch of ads regarding stress relief started appearing. Now today, it just seems totally random, though in particular, I have noticed a bunch of ads regarding anti-spyware products. I'm not sure what to make of that, though I know the AdSense ad selection is based on an algorithm that interprets site content whenever Google's web crawler spiders the site on a routine basis. Did I manage to totally confuse the ad selection algorithm with my blog? Heh!

I suppose if ads for "male enhancement" products begin appearing, then maybe I should check into some of those stress relief products... ;-)

(Then again, hopefully this won't become a self-fulfilling prophecy!)

No comments: