Monday, November 24, 2008

Looking Ahead

2008 saw quite a few exciting new releases for Flight Simulator enthusiasts. What can we look forward to seeing in 2009 and beyond? I'm sure there will be many unexpected surprises in store, but here is what we know is currently in the works:
  • Level-D is still toiling away on their version of the 757. Will we see it in 2009? Who knows. If it is anything like their 767, it will be well worth the wait. For what it's worth, Captain Sim also does a very nice (albeit a bit buggy) 757 add-on if you need to fill that void in your fleet.

  • PMDG announced long ago that they are redoing their 737 NG series for FSX, to be dubbed NGX. I am really looking forward to this, given the wide adoption of the 737 NG by many airlines, especially in the U.S. Now that the MD-11 has shipped, will they refocus their efforts on the NGX? I sure hope so. PMDG takes their time on releases, but the attention to detail really shows. I would be very happy to see the NGX in 2009, but I'm not holding my breath just yet.

  • Vic from feelThere let slip in one of their forums a few months back that they are doing a rewrite of the ERJ. It will be interesting to see what they do with that. I am actually reasonably satisfied with the old ERJ, and would prefer they rework the CRJ instead. Among other things, it would be nice if the CRJ used the same navigation database as feelThere/Wilco's other products. At any rate, it will be interesting to see what their new take on the ERJ will be.

  • Vic also put out a question as to whether fans would be interested in seeing a new panel for the 737 PIC. I am not sure what to make of this one. Are they simply thinking of redoing the existing 737 "classic" panel? Or are they looking to do their own version of a 737 NG? I sure hope for the latter, but we shall see. Yes, I know there is a 737-800 built into FSX, but it is not terribly realistic.

  • Captain Sim also has several ongoing projects in partial states of completion. I really hope they finish their 727 next year. That would be a fun jet to fly, even if it has largely disappeared from the skies these days. I have already picked up the initial pieces of the 727, although the most interesting piece, the panel and cockpit, and not yet available.

  • Captain Sim also recently gave everybody a sneaky peek at their new B-52. Fun stuff!
I am sure somebody out there will throw us a few unexpected curveballs in the future, too. Plenty of stuff ahead to keep our Flight Simulator addictions going for well into another year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like it will be an exciting year for FS. Thanks for blogging, glad you are back.

Chris said...

Thanks! It's great to be missed. I'll try not to let this get away from me again for so long next time.