Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Other Birthday Present

Along with the PMDG MD-11, I picked up another flight sim related present for my birthday: the Logitech Freedom 2.4 GHz Cordless Joystick:





I ordered mine from Amazon last week, and it shipped via 20 mule team UPS ground from Pennsylvania. It finally arrived on Monday evening, so I took it for a spin in Wilco's Cessna Citation X last night. Sometimes, I have a need for speed, and Mach 0.92 at FL510 is a lot of fun.

So far, I rather like it. We currently live in a small house in Oregon, and my little nook for the computers is tiny. Minimizing the cables tethering me to my computers is a really good thing right now. It means one less cord around for the kids to trip over.

It has 10 buttons on this one, along with the slider for the throttle and the twist rotation for rudder. My past joysticks have only used 8 buttons, so now I have two new buttons to define. Any suggestions as to what any of you use the remaining two buttons for? At this point, I am thinking about setting one to turn on/off autopilot, and the other to engage the parking brake. But I'm open to suggestions for optimal simming with this thing.

No comments: