Thursday, July 2, 2009

Captain Sim Announces 767-300 Captain

Got an interesting surprise in my inbox while ago -- Captain Sim is readying their new 767-300 Captain add-on for release soon. Check out the preview page for screenshots and a list of features.

I had not heard that Captain Sim was doing the 767-300, but honestly, it isn't a big surprise. The cockpit of the 767-300 is extremely similar to the 757, so it makes for a logical successor to the 757 product. (The Airbus A320/A330/A340 series are also much the same in this regard, which is likely why Airsimmer has long-range plans to do the A330/A340 after they get the A320 out.) It is entirely probable that the developers can reuse substantial portions of the 757 on the 767-300.

I have mixed feelings about this -- I am very happy with the Level-D 767-300, and would have preferred to see Captain Sim take on something new and different. However, being the sucker that I am, and given the fact that things elsewhere in the flight sim world are very quiet right now, I'll probably go ahead and give it a chance...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Chris ,

abolutely agree with you with regards to things being quite . Also interesting that pretty soon Captain Sim and Level-D will be getting into a lock as both will be selling a 757 and 767 each . However the most anticipated release as per me continues to be the Airsimmer series ( even Aerosoft is developing an Airbus now ,fyi ) , and also The Next Level Simulation A380 ( this one will be yummy ) and the A300 from the same guys ( this one is almost complete as far as I know ) . Also we may possibly have a new Simulator in the making as this discussion is hotin progress in the Aerosoft forums. On the military front I beleive the CS B-52 and the Alphasim C-17 will be the real scorchers . I love your posts . Thank You .

Chris said...

Hi Saurav,

Thanks for the tips! I took a look at the screenshots on the NLS A380. Very nice looking. I gather the developers have a lot of baking left to do on it before it is ready to fly, though. Not too surprising, since the A380 is such a complex machine. It will be fun to see what they can come up with.

An A300 would be very nice to have. I would be all over that. American Airlines is phasing out their A300's here in the U.S., but the model remains popular as a freighter with quite a few carriers here, including FedEx and UPS. It would be great to have a highly realistic simulation of the A300/A310 series in Flight Simulator!

I am definitely looking forward to the Captain Sim B-52. A former college roommate of mine has flown them for the USAF in the past. It will be interesting to see what he thinks of the Captain Sim version. :)

I'll have to check out Alphasim -- don't know much about them. Thanks again for the info!

All the best,

+chris